Wednesday, 4 March 2015

25 Years Ago This Week: March 4, 1990

I'm just going to get this out of the way at the start - this week 25 years ago was a terrible one on the ARIA chart as far as I was concerned. I'm talking really awful.

The best-known (and least dressed) line-up of Red Hot Chili Peppers 

Why so bad? In between the horrendous novelty track that was the week's highest new entry on the top 50 and the cavalcade of dreariness arriving lower down the chart, it's no wonder I was focusing more and more on what was going on in the UK and the US at this stage.

ARIA Top 50 Singles Chart - week ending March 4, 1990

What's more, still firmly lodged at number 1 this week in 1990 was a song I'd quickly grown very sick of. "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinéad O'Connor spent a second week on top, and even earnt itself a bullet for a significant sales increase despite not shifting position.


Off The Chart
Number 99 "Heaven And Earth" by Tania Bowra
Peak: number 99
I'd forgotten all about this Australian singer/songwriter, who kind of sounds like Toni Childs doing a Melissa Etheridge song.

Number 94 "Welcome To The Terrordome" by Public Enemy
Peak: number 81
Released between rap classics "Fight The Power" and "911 Is A Joke", this second single from Fear Of A Black Planet slipped into the top 100, probably thanks to Triple J play.

Number 93 "Black Wedding Ring" by Gyan
Peak: number 93
This third and final single from Gyan's self-titled album certainly didn't have the mass appeal of "Wait" - and duly performed much worse as a result. 


Breaker
"Working Man" by Rita MacNeil
Peak: number 56
This single had been bouncing around the top 100 all year, but it actually dated back even further - to 1988, when Canadian folk singer Rita MacNeil released her fifth album, Reason To Believe. Written about the difficult conditions faced by coal miners, "Working Man" became a bit of a working class anthem and almost cracked the UK top 10. And since I have nothing that could be considered nice to say about the song, I'll move on...




New Entries
Number 49 "Higher Ground" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Peak: number 45
There are a couple of reasons why, after releasing three albums that passed most music fans by, Red Hot Chili Peppers suddenly jumped into the mainstream in 1990. Clearly, the band's decision to release a cover of Stevie Wonder's 1973 single to launch their Mother's Milk album played an important part. By turning the soul classic into a furious blast of funk-infused hard rock, RHCP made an instant impact.
The other main reason behind the band's new-found success was the settling of the line-up, after years of member changes, drug addictions and even a death in their ranks. RHCP now consisted of Anthony Kiedis, Flea, John Frusciante and Chad Smith, and clearly the new roster gelled. Their true commercial crossover would come with album number five, but "Higher Ground" was a start, as it and Mother's Milk performed better than anything released by any previous incarnation of the band.




Number 42 "Turn A Blind Eye" by Hunters & Collectors
Peak: number 42
Here's my favourite song this week - but it pretty much earns that title by default since it's the best of a bad bunch for me. Furthermore, as far as singles by Hunters & Collectors go (and I'm a fan of quite a few), this follow-up to "When The River Runs Dry" is a bit on the dull side. 




Number 36 "Check Out The Chicken" by Grandmaster Chicken & DJ Duck
Peak: number 16
As if "The Birdie Song" (or "The Chicken Dance") wasn't already bad enough - this travesty, which combined the novelty song with a dodgy rap performed by cheaply animated characters, was the worst thing to hit the ARIA top 50 all year. Coming out of the Netherlands, the track was masterminded by Dutch performer and producer Eddy Ouwens, who'd previously co-written the winning entry of the 1975 Eurovision Song Contest, "Ding-a-dong" by Teach-In. If only "Check Out The Chicken" were half as good as that song.




Next week: my faith in the ARIA chart was restored with eight new entries, none of which I despised. In fact, I liked quite a lot of them - including the single that finally gave Paula Abdul a smash hit and the pop debut of Australia's favourite younger sister.


Back to: Feb 25, 1990 <<<<<<<<<<<<<  GO  >>>>>>>>>>>>> Forward to: Mar 11, 1990


3 comments:

  1. Though I was still into chart music at the time, looking back at these early charts from 1990, the music definitely seems to be of slightly lesser quality than that in 1989 and before. Having said that, I actually bought the 'Check Out the Chicken' cassingle.

    I don't remember the Tania Bowra single at all, though the name rings a bell for some reason.

    I love Gyan's 'Black Wedding Ring', though only heard it once or twice at the time, and don't remember seeing a video for it at all (if one exists). Hence the (much) poorer chart peak than previous singles, I guess.

    Don't remember hearing the Rita MacNeill song at all. and had to stop the video after the first 30 seconds or so.

    Every Red Hot Chili Peppers song sounds like one of 3 variations they do, to my ears. This one was more tolerable I guess because it's a cover. I did like 'Soul To Squeeze' though, and to a lesser extent their other 'soft' singles 'Under the Bridge' and 'Breaking the Girl', but the overdone 'accent' he puts on for singing just grates on me.

    I liked 'Turn a Blind Eye', Surprised it didn't perform better on the charts, though I guess they weren't really a 'singles' act, and people who liked the song probably already had the album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too bought the 'Check out the Chicken' Cassingle. I remember travelling by bus to the Northland Shopping Centre to buy it. It was a song that was catchy to my ears at the time. My opinion hasn't really changed over the years. It's just a song that I once liked.

    Red Hot Chilli Peppers hadn't really surfaced on my radar yet. That would change the following year when I would discover Triple J and not rely on Fox FM and Take 40 Australia for my musical tastes.

    The Hunters and Collectors as well as Public Enemy would also become must listens to me later in life (again Triple J). The Hunters I knew from the 'Do you See what I see' from a few years earlier. They really hit my radar when their album 'Cut' was released.

    Finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed that the B-52's Love Shack lost their platinum status for this week. Ooops!!! Finn

    ReplyDelete