Wednesday, 12 March 2014

25 Years Ago This Week: March 12, 1989

I always thought that if I ever became a recording artist, I would record under a name that sounded like a group - like Owl City, Ladyhawke or Bastille (before he went and got himself band-mates). It's an enigmatic and slightly confusing way to be a solo artist, which appeals to me - even though the chances of me releasing a single any time soon are pretty slim.

Simply Red: seems like a solo act, actually a group

Just as confusing are acts like Jamiroquai, The Lightning Seeds and Sade that seem like soloists, but are actually groups - even if Jay Kay, Ian Broudie and Sade Adu get all the attention and, in the first two cases, band members come and go. This week in 1989, the highest new entry came from the latter type of act: a band centred around one person, but a band nevertheless.

ARIA Top 50 Singles Chart - week ending March 12, 1989

Also this week 25 years ago, The Proclaimers were still at number 1 with "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" - for the fourth of five weeks. The pain was only going to get worse...


Single Of The Week
The Party Boys - "Follow Your Heart"
The party was over for the group who'd hit number 1 with their cover of "He's Gonna Step On You Again" back in 1987, with this brand new single not even managing a place in the ARIA top 100 (it peaked at number 107). The band with the ever-evolving line-up welcomed back former vocalist Joe Walsh (of Eagles fame) for this song.




Breakers
"Fine Time" by Yazz
Peak: number 60
Another former hit-maker who was struggling was the lady behind dance smash "The Only Way Is Up". Reggae-infused single "Fine Time" had given her a third consecutive solo top 10 single in the UK, but Australian fans didn't take to the change of pace.




"Nathan Jones" by Bananarama
Peak: number 59
Also on the outs were Bananarama version 2.0, whose cover of The Supremes (minus Diana Ross) single from 1971 didn't manage a place inside the top 50 - something that hadn't happened for the group since 1987's "A Trick Of The Night". "Nathan Jones" had originally appeared on the WOW! album, when Siobhan Fahey was still part of the line-up, and was re-recorded and remixed for The Greatest Hits Collection as one of two new tracks.




New Entries
Number 50 "Voice Of Reason" by Noiseworks
Peak: number 43
No one was having much luck this week! Here's another single from Noiseworks that disappointed chart-wise. The follow-up to top 15 hit "Touch", "Voice Of Reason" was the first of three singles in a row that would fail to crack the ARIA top 40. Personally, I thought it was the best single from the Touch album, which made up for things by being a top 5 platinum success.




Number 42 "Your Mama Don't Dance" by Poison
Peak: number 21
And now, a song I wish had been less of a hit. Unfortunately for me, although fortunately for them, Poison were on a bit of a roll by this point so just about anything would have done well. The fourth single from Open Up And Say...Aah!, "Your Mama Don't Dance" was a remake of the 1972 single by Loggins and Messina. Yep, Kenny Loggins of "Footloose" and "Danger Zone" fame, and Jim Messina, who'd also been in Buffalo Springfield and Poco (don't worry, I'm not really familiar with those bands, either).




Number 40 "Waiting For A Star To Fall" by Boy Meets Girl
Peak: number 35
One of my favourite songs from 1988 took its sweet time breaking into the ARIA top 50, and although it didn't go on to be a massive hit in Australia, it's one of those tunes that everyone knows. A top 5 hit in the US and a top 10 in the UK, the song was originally offered to Whitney Houston and Belinda Carlisle (who recorded a pretty unlistenable demo) before writers George Merrill and Shannon Rubicam ended up releasing it themselves in their guise as duo Boy Meets Girl. The husband and wife team had previously written two mega-hits for Whitney - "How Will I Know" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" - but this was their only success of any note as recording artists. 




Number 36 "I'm On My Way" by The Proclaimers
Peak: number 3
As if one horrible Proclaimers single wasn't enough, Australia rushed out and bought this follow-up - something that didn't even happen in the UK. In coming weeks, both songs were side-by-side in the top 10 (for a couple of non-consecutive weeks, that was literally the case). As a result, The Proclaimers entered the ranks of two-hit wonders.




Number 31 "It's Only Love" by Simply Red
Peak: number 31
Entering the chart where it would peak, this Simply Red track was the lead single from A New Flame, the first of four consecutive chart-topping albums the band had back in the UK. One thing I didn't realise until now was that, like the album's second single, "If You Don't Know Me By Now", "It's Only Love" was a cover version - in this case of a song originally recorded by Barry White.




Next week: three stars of the early to mid '80s return - with very mixed fortunes. Plus, house music fails to take off in Australia.


Back to: Mar 5, 1989 <<<<<<<<<<<<<  GO  >>>>>>>>>>>>> Forward to: Mar 19, 1989


9 comments:

  1. This was the first printed ARIA chart I picked up. Though I soon cut it out and stuck it into my 'song lyrics'/chart book, where I wrote the top 40 down from Take 40 Australia and soon the top 50 from rage. This was also the first full top 50 I caught on rage, though I didn't start writing the top 50 down from it until a couple of weeks later.

    Re: The Party Boys - "it peaked at number 107", did ARIA have/give you this information? So they must have peaks below #107 on their database from this period? I wish there was a way to get hold of the full charts (and below) from this period.

    They must have been scraping the barrel for breakers this week, listing a single that peaked as low as #86, and even listing 'Take Me To Your Heart' again, which was in the top 50 just a few weeks earlier. The lower half of the top 100 this week then must have been quite stagnant, with former top 50 singles filling the bulk of positions 51-86.

    It's interesting that 'Handle With Care' bulleted back to #9, too. I wonder what caused that to happen (especially while 'End of the Line' dropped a couple of places)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a song shouldn't have been allowed to be a breaker if it had already been in and out of the top 50.

      Delete
    2. Agreed, but maybe they were so desperate this week that they 'had' to include it. Actually, I wonder if a breaker has ever been outside of the top 100?

      Delete
  2. Maybe "Handle With Care" bulleted back up the charts after a possible Grammy Win? This was when American Award shows were still shown on freet to air TV and screened at a decent time.

    I knew that Boy Meets Girl originally offered "Waiting For A Star To Fall" to Whitney Houston, but had no idea they wrote 2 of her big uptempo songs.

    Touch was a big album, unfortunately not a lot of big singles. "In My Youth" was a good song and I remember a lot of singles from this album got a play in the background on E-Street. LoL. Criminal that Jon Stevens hasn't really made it as a solo artist since Noiseworks. What ever happened to their reunion and new album? Haven't heard anything for a few years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call on HWC.

      I really think Noiseworks were an under-rated singles act. And it always seemed the songs of theirs I liked least (Touch, Hot Chili Woman) did the best.

      Delete
  3. I remember getting up early to watch the rage Top 50 countdown. 1989 was my first full year of following the ARIA chart. I was 12, give me a break!!
    I discovered my hobby....following and collecting popular music....
    Yazz's "Wanted" album (I had it on cassette) was one of my faves back in the day.... I always thought "Fine Time" should've gone Top 50 like "The Only Way Is Up" and "Stand Up For...." I miss you Yazz!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog Gavin, I look forward to it every week more so than the current charts, Particularly love seeing the "breakers" and your comments on them. I hope you continue to include odd little bits of trivia that you can't find anywhere else (like the Party Boys reaching #107, or the ARIA peaks below the top 50),

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Brad! Nice to know there are some regulars.

      Delete
  5. "Jim Messina, who'd also been in Buffalo Springfield and Poco (don't worry, I'm not really familiar with those bands, either)."

    I am. And how can anyone not like The Proclaimers? I thought they were great!

    ReplyDelete