Wednesday, 23 October 2013

25 Years Ago This Week: October 23, 1988

After the flood of new entries last week, it was a quiet chart this week 25 years ago - and it couldn't have come at a better time for me since I'm currently overseas. Don't worry, I'm not skipping sightseeing to blog - I wrote this up before I left.

ARIA Top 50 Singles Chart - week ending October 23, 1988

Before we check out the two - yes, just two - new entries, there was cause for celebration with U2's "Desire" dethroning Robert Palmer's "Simply Irresistible" from the number 1 spot. The Irish band would have to wait a couple more weeks for a number 1 album with Rattle & Hum, but last week's other returning band, Bon Jovi, went straight in at the top with New Jersey (while "Bad Medicine" shot up to number 4 on the singles chart).


New Entries
Number 48 "Similar Features" by Melissa Etheridge
Peak: number 34
I have to say I was not a fan of this debut single by the singer/songwriter who'd end up having quite the career - but Australia was, giving Melissa her first top 40 hit anywhere in the world. In fact, "Similar Features" would only creep into the Billboard Hot 100 in April 1989, by which time Melissa was already a big success here.




Number 36 "Kiss 'n' Tell" by Chantoozies
Peak: number 25
This fourth and final single from their debut album would be Chantoozies' last top 50 appearance as an eight-piece. By the time they returned to the chart with a cover of "Love The One You're With" in 1991, the group had shrunk dramatically to just a trio: Eve von Bibra, Angie La Bozzetta and Ally Fowler, who was mostly absent from the "Kiss 'n' Tell" clip due, I believe, to illness on the day of the shoot.




Next week: the debut of my most hated song for 1988 (boo!), but it's made up for by three new hits from some of my favourite acts (hurray!).


Back to: Oct 16, 1988 <<<<<<<<<<<<<  GO  >>>>>>>>>>>>> Forward to: Oct 30, 1988


2 comments:

  1. For some time, I thought that Melissa Etheridge was an Australian artist. Fox FM in Melbourne sure gave the 3 singles from her debut album heavy rotation. I was quite surprised to find out later on she was American. If I remember correctly, the video for Similar Features had not yet been made when it was in the top 50 here. I remember catching it for the first time on Video Hits around mid 1989, billed as a 'hit prediction'!

    Interesting to see that ARIA have listed Chantoozies as 'The Chantoozies' for Wanna Be Up, but not Kiss 'n' Tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found so many mistakes doing this blog - lots of The where they shouldn't be one and vice versa. The worst errors were the incorrect title for Elton John's "I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That" and the incorrect weeks in tally for "La Bamba".

      Delete